Friday, June 20, 2014

Blog Reflection

          The three blogs I've previously posted were written as an assignment for an Instructional Technology course.  This was the first time I've truly blogged; Almost ten years ago, I did post to my "blog" on MySpace a few times, but I certainly didn't treat those posts the same way I treated this writing activity.  I enjoyed this blogging experience and was pleasantly surprised by how user-friendly Blogger is.  My future students should be able to handle posting their responses to discussion questions or posting reflections over novels we read in class.  Like me, I hope they realize how audience can affect writing; I certainly put more time and effort into these blog posts, knowing that they would be public and anyone could see them (not just the teacher that'd be grading them).  I hope they will take the time to think about their audience, using respectful language and putting an effort into their writing (by following conventions and paying attention to mechanics, as well as doing any research to back up their stances), so they can sound as educated and knowledgeable as possible.              
          As I said, I enjoyed this blogging activity.  I had initially proposed blogging about grammar rules and usage mistakes, but I knew that would turn into more of a rant, rather than a blog that could be of any use to others.  I also wasn't sure how I would use resources in blog posts like that; that is why I chose to write about reading comprehension strategies.  Finding good sources to include in my posts was probably the most difficult and/or time-consuming aspect of this assignment.  I had to find sources that were trusted, that gave good suggestions, and that meshed with my way of thinking.  I luckily did not have any troubles with internet access, as that can pose problems when using online or cloud-based applications.  The benefits of using a technology tool like a blog in my classroom definitely outweigh any of the limitations or concerns.  I will take the time to teach my students the important aspects of digital citizenship, and I will be diligent in my supervision of their blog posts and comments to others. 
          Learning how to synthesize information and how to articulate feelings are important lessons that can be taught using blogs.  I hope students will realize that posting to their own or reading others' blogs can be a great way to share information and develop their own PLNs (Personal Learning Networks).  Continuing to post to my own and to follow other blogs will help me teach my future students about this worthwhile personal, professional, and educational tool.   

No comments:

Post a Comment